instead i decided to spend some time and build one preferably as easily and cheap as possible!
note that you will need some minor electrical experience (if you ever added a light switch or outlet you should be OK)
EDIT(dec07): the laptop finally died this week. the hdd is dead by overheating. i may replace it but it's probably a question of time until it dies completely.
EDIT(xmas07): i replaced the dead hdd with one i had around and now i'm running the internal fan at high speed all the time to keep it cool. i also got a clearance fanless logitech laptop pad for less than $10 and dremel'd a hole into it to allow air intake for cooling. hopefully it will last longer this time :)
Step 1: What you need
- some acrylic (11"x14"x0.093" ) or other type of material that you can use as a base. i got mine from the door & windows section of home depot
- a USB cable from your dollar store (i used male to female cable)
- electrical tape to insulate the cables
- a fan - bigger is better but you need to test it first and make sure it works at 5 Volt. i got mine from a PC power source.
- fan screws or glue
- felt (the ones you put on the feet of chairs & tables to protect against floor scratches)
- dremel tool or some other tool that you can use to cut holes
- SAFETY gear (glasses)