A miniature rocket engine, pen tubes, a Hot Wheel and a little bit of hot glue will be the perfect aid to learn about acceleration!
Step 1: Materials
- Hot Wheel car, or a car of equal value (Solid, Not an obvious China product)
- A model rocket engine
- A couple of pens.
- Some sort of adhesive
If you want to try to make your car more sturdy, also try:
-Anything that'll strap down that rocket engine right
For the Track:
-6 meter board (for the base of the track)
- 2long wires
- stands for the photogates
-2 more wires from the battery
Step 2: Preparing the Car
To start it off, you need to make an area for your rocket to fit in or on. Cut, remove, sew, Whatever you have to do in order to make room for your engine.
Next, use your adhesive (I used hot glue) to put your engin in place. Make sure that when your car is on the ground, the engine is parallele to the ground. You dont want it pointing at an angle. Let your adhesive dry.
Now that your engine is in place, add anything extra that will help your engin stay on the. The engine is small, but strong, and if not properly attached, it'll leave your hot wheel behind. I saw people use wire, zip ties, and strips of cloth. Triple check that your engin is secure, then move on to attaching the pen tubes.
The wires that run down the track are going to go through the pen tubes, so want them to be spaced out a around the same as the wires on the track. The wireas are paralle to eachother and to the ground, so the pen tubes should be too.
After all the glue has dried, insert the metal piece in the back of your rocket and cap it.
Step 3: Preparing the Track.
2. Set up 5 Photogates on stands.
3. Put the photogates along the marks you madeon the board. Make sure that theyre close enought for the car t trip the photogates, but that there is enough distance so the cars dont detroy them.
4. Test the photogates and make sure they are connected to a computer with the software to collect data.
5. Double check the photogates.
Step 4: Now That Everything Is Ready....
1. you unwind the 2 wires that run down the track to put them throught your cars pen tubes
2. once they are through, tighten them once again
3. Make sure the car runs down the track without a problem
4. hook up wires to the metal wire piece that is inserted in the back of your rocket
5. the other ends of these wire are gonna touch the + and the - of the car battery to set off your rocket.
6. Test your photogates one last time to make sure they are working and make sure they are hooked up to the computer
7. Now sett off the rocket!
Step 5: What to Do With the Data
If carried out correctly, you will be able to accuratly calculate the velocity and the acceleration of the car.