Zumba can be intimidating if you don't dance. But I can teach you the basics! Follow these simple steps and see how you do. Class is simple once you master the basics! There is no right or wrong in Zumba. Zumba is about adding your own style! Learn the basics, have fun, and let loose!
Please refer to pictures for general stance. Refer to videos for movement (**Note: My left is your right. Likewise, my right is your left.)
Step 1: Your Zumba gear
Keep the following in mind before class:
- Wear work-out clothes: shorts, tank tops, sweat pants, etc
- Wear dance shoes or sneakers: You will move your feet around a lot. Make sure your feet are comfortable!
- Bring a bottle of water or gatorade to class: You need to re-hydrate between dances. Drink plenty after class as well!
Step 2: Let's salsa
1. Stand with both feet together.
2. Step to the right. Bend your knees.
3.Return to the middle.
4.Step to the left. Bend your knees slightly.
5.Return to the middle.
6.Try it a little faster. Slightly rock to the side as you move. Loosen up your upper body. Let your shoulders move with your feet.
7. Faster this time! Add some hip as you rock. Make it your own! Check video for correct tempo.
1. Bend your knees. Slightly bend arms. Point them to the right towards the sky.
2.Take four steps to the right-use your hips to move.
3..Return to the middle.
4..Repeat step 1. This time point arms to the left.
5. Take four steps to the left-use your hips to move.
6. Try it faster. Check video for correct tempo.