If you're like me, and thousands of others who have a nondescript black suitcase that is always a trick to pick out of a conveyor belt crowd, this leather luggage tag Instructable is for you!
Step 1: The Goods
Here's what you need to make these time saving and good looking travel accessories:
- a thick rubber leather punch surface (a piece of wood will work too!)
- a cutting mat
- regular hammer
- letter punch set (I got mine at a flea market, but ebay has oodles to choose from)
- craft scissors
- exacto knife
- small cookie cutter circles
- tag pattern pdf*
- 24" metal ruler
- Oops! an extra number. Please ignore.
- 3mm veg leather (un-tanned leather) with one side at least 20" long
- leather multi-hole punch
- 60mm rotary cutter (great for thick leather and multiple layers of thinner fabric)
- thick ruler or metal piece for stamping with
- box cutter, only if you don't have a rotary cutter
- bowl of water and a sponge
*I included an .eps file of the tag pattern if you'd prefer to laser cut your pieces out.
NOTE: Anything made from a hard material will stamp well into the leather, so feel free to play around with different objects, shapes and patterns!!