This leather table runner is made by using contact adhesive to stick pieces of leather onto denim backing from a pair of old jeans before stitching the pieces down.
This is a reasonably basic sewing project but I am assuming you know how to work a sewing machine - zig-zag stitch, back-tacking at the start/end of stitching, etc.
Step 1: Materials
- A bunch of leather scraps (you'll need more than you think)
- Denim recycled from a pair of jeans
- Extra-strong sewing thread
Standard Sewing Equipment:
- Sewing machine
- Leather or Jeans sewing needle
- Fabric shears
- Thread snips
- Rotary cutter and cutting mat
- Iron and ironing board
- Chalk or fabric pen
Make sure you have strong thread and a strong needle - you can get a leather needle, but I found a jeans needle works just as well. The jeans needle makes a round hole, the leather needle makes a diamond-shaped cut which closes up better if you unpick the stitch.