Follow these easy steps to learn how to make leggings for the special baby in your life.
Step 1: Round-up Supplies
1. Baby leggings for pattern
3. Fabric shears or scissors, pins and safety pin
4. Sewing machine
Step 2: Make a Pattern (optional)
If you a seasoned sewer, you may collect a high five and go directly to step 3.
Otherwise, here's how to make a pattern:
1. Fold leggings in half, one leg ontop of the other
2. Lay on newspaper and trace with 1/4-1/2 inch allowance *
3. Cut paper
4. You now have a pattern!
*Note: you may notice the newspaper is short a few inches, I just added them when cutting the fabric.
Step 3: Cut Fabric
2. Remove sleeves.*
3. Place pattern or original leggings ontop of sleeves with seam facing inward, use the hem on the bottom of the sleeve as the hem on leggings.
4. Cut the fabric following the pattern or original leggings as a guide.
*Note: Make sure to save the remaining fabric for more super creations!! Check out this Instructable for more re-purposeful ideas! https://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-Re-purposed-Skirt/
Step 4: Sew Part I
2. Place ontop of one another seams lined up on the left, pin the crotch and sew 1/2 inch from the center of crotch.*
3. Pin other side of crotch and sew 1/2 inch from the center.*
4. Sew hole left in center of crotch closed, following the curve.
*Note: This will help avoid fabric from puckering.
Step 5: Sew Part II: Waist Band
2. Sew along the top leaving an inch opening on the backside.
3. Measure the length of the elastic according to size, plus a 1/4 inch.
4. Feed the elastic through the opening with a safety pin.
5. Sew the elastic with a zig zag stitch, overlapping a 1/4 inch.
6. Stitch the opening closed.
Step 6: Adorn and Adore
1. Hand stitch a bow to the front of pants.