Step 2: The Build - Part 1
Moving on from the wheels, I tried to figure out the front grille and bumper bar area. Keeping the same colours as the original model, The first pieces were 'laid down' just after christmas in 2011.
As there were no plans or parts listing for me to reference, I assumed I would have enough parts in my collection. How wrong could I have been. As I worked forward on the model, I found that my collection of red pieces of Lego plate was no where near large enough.
The main parts I kept running out of is the basic 1x2 studded plate. I could not believe how many I had to use. And I had to keep telling myself that the original model was built back in the mid 1980's when part designs were a lot less diverse as it is now.
The other problem I was finding was structural. Because I could only photo the outside of the original model, who knows what lurked underneath. This meant the as I built the top of the bonnet many times over, I found bracing to be a necessity.
At the end of each nights work, working through and Australian summer means 30+ degress C for most of the time, I would take a photo, just incase.