Good morning all!
Here is a perfect scone recipe for a fall morning. Put the kettle on for tea and enjoy these with lots of fresh whipped cream on top.
3/4 cup and 1 Tbsp cold heavy cream
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbsp cold unsalted butter
1/3 cup crystallized ginger, diced small
1 tsp grated lemon zest
Sanding sugar, if desired
Preheat oven to 400 F.
1. Whisk together the first group.
2. In a separate bowl, sift together the second group.
3. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or pull apart into pea-size pieces with your fingers.
4. Stir the ginger and lemon zest into the flour mixture.
5. With a fork, mix the cream into the flour until just incorporated. The dough will still be crumbly.
6. Turn dough onto floured work surface and knead once or twice. Pat into a 6 inch circle and cut into 6 wedges. Place on baking sheet sprayed with PAM or lined with parchment paper.
7. Brush just the tops with cream and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
Bake until golden about 15-18 minutes.
Eat warm with lots of delicious fresh whipped cream.