The cake batter recipe is based on Dan Lepard's Sour Cream Butter Cake in his book Short and Sweet but has been adapted quite a lot.
175g unsalted butter, softened
225g caster sugar
3 medium eggs
200g sour cream (I used 0% fat greek yogurt and it still worked perfectly well)
200g plain flour
3tsp baking powder
Zest of a lemon
1 tsp lemon extract
10g poppy seeds (optional)
Lemon curd (approx 4 tbsps)
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F/Gas 4 and place 12 muffin cases in the tray.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy then add the eggs in one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Beat in the sour cream or yogurt then add the lemon zest, extract and poppy seeds.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and beat in until all the mixture is combined.
- Next place a spoonful of the batter into each case, it should come about a third of the way up the case.
- Smooth the batter out so that the bottom of the base is completely covered. Now place a teaspoon of lemon curd in the centre of each case.
- Add a couple of more spoons of batter to each case so that they are full almost to the top but not quite.
- Place in the oven and bake for around 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out cleanly.
- Allow the cupcakes to cook completely before frosting then decorate however you choose. I opted for a simple mascarpone frosting with a little more lemon rind to continue the zingy flavour throughout.
If you like this recipe, please check out my other instructables or my blog.