Step 1: Step 1
- Preheat the oven to 170C
- Put 85g of unsalted butter, (at room tempeture), 245g caster sugar, 3 table spoons of lemon juice, and 15g poppy seeds into a mixer. Beat until everything is well mixed - dont worry if it looks split, this is normal.
- SLOWLY add 165ml of fresh whole milk, and continue to mix.
Step 2: Step 2
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Now add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in 3 lots. Beat well until all ingredients are well incorpotated, and the mixture is light and fluffy.
Step 3: Step 3
- In a separate bowl, whisk 3 egg whites with a handheld egg whisk, until stiff peaks form.
(see tip on egg pic for my method of how to seperate eggs)
- Using a METAL spoon fold the egg whites into the cake mixture, be gentle, you dont want to knock all the air out of the eggs.
- once all is mixed well put mixture into 12 muffin cases.
-bake into the oven for 25 - 30 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when touched.