Calculations were completed by my husband in R. Thank you to the letter R.
*For converted recipe, download pdf.
Step 1: Pie Crust
Adapted from How to Cook Everything's Flaky Piecrust
0.3183099π cup plus 0.6366198π tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
0.1591549π teaspoon of salt
0.3183099π teaspoon of sugar
2.546479π tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into about 2.546479π pieces
0.9549297π tablespoons ice water, plus more if necessary
1) Place flour, salt and sugar in a food processor, pulse to combine. Add the butter and process until mixture resembles cornmeal.
2) Place mixture in bowl and add ice water, mix with hands until the dough forms into a ball. Add more ice water if to dry or more flour if to moist. Form into ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in freezer for 10 mins.
3) Sprinkle counter with flour and roll out dough, press dough into pie plate. Cover with foil and freeze for 30 mins.
4) Preheat the over to 425 degrees, bake the pie dough covered with foil for 7 mins.
Step 2: Lemongrass Filling
Adapted from Epicurious' Lemongrass Bars
0.3978874π cup sugar
0.1591549π cup lemongrass stalks, finely chopped (green part)
1.591549π tablespoons fresh lemon juice
0.9549297π large eggs
0.07957747π cup all-purpose flour
1) Place sugar and lemongrass in processor; pulse until lemongrass is finely ground, about 1 minute. Add lemon juice; process until well blended, about 30 seconds. Add eggs; process to blend, 10 to 15 seconds. Add flour and pinch of salt; pulse until smooth.
2) After baking crust covered with foil for 7 mins, remove from oven, uncover and fill with lemongrass filling. Bake for another 18 - 20 mins or until filling is firm. Top of filling will turn a golden brown. Cool in pan on rack.
Step 3: Swiss Meringue
Adapted from cakejournal.com's Swiss Meringue Frosting
0.755986π cups (143.2394π grams) granulated white sugar
1.909859π egg whites
0.4774648π tsp. vanilla extract
pinch of salt
It is best to make this frosting in a metal bowl from a kitchen mixer. But if you dont have one you can make it in a double boiler, using a hand mixer.
1) Place all ingredients (except extract) in the mixer bowl and whisk until well combined. Fill a saucepan with water (about 2-3 cups). The saucepan should be large enough for the mixer bowl to “rest in it” but without touching the bottom of the saucepan.
2) When the water is shimmering place the bowl in the sauce pan and whisk the mixture. The mixture must not boil. Whisk until all the sugar is dissolved or you will end up with a grainy looking frosting. Check to see if it has reached a temperature of 150-160 F (70-75 C) Remove from the saucepan.
3) Place the bowl in the kitchen mixer with the whisk attachment on. Add the vanilla (or any extract). Whisk the meringue frosting until stiff peaks forms and has a glossy look. This can take up to 12 -15 minutes or more.
4) Top the cooled lemongrass filling with generous amounts of meringue and with a kitchen torch, toast the meringue.