The following link from the University of California offers suggestions for growing sprouts safely at home including heating the seeds in hydrogen peroxide.
Growing Seed Sprouts at Home
Step 1: Ingredients
1 1/2 Cups Lentil sprouts
2 Tsps Lime juice
1 Finely chopped peeled roasted Jalapeño, about 1 tsp, or to taste
2 Tbsps Finely chopped onion
1/4-1/2 Tsp Salt, to taste
1/4 Tsp Ground red or cayenne pepper
Step 2: Optional: Grow Lentil Sprouts
- Jar with holes drilled/punched in lid
- Jar covered with cheesecloth or fabric with holes, hold fabric in place with a rubber band
- Mason jar with plastic canvas inside screw band
- Your own creation
- Put sprouts in jar, add water, and soak over night or for 12 hours.
- Rinse sprouts and leave sprout jar upside down in a bowl to allow water to drain.
- Rinse sprouts 2-3 times a day
I sprouted Wal-Mart Great Value brand lentil. I drilled holes in a blue plastic peanut butter lid for a safe jar for kids to use to sprout.