Introduction: Lentil Sprout Guacamole Salad
Since there are no ripe vegetables in our garden at this time of year, I like to grow sprouts. I use these in salads, on sandwiches, or cooked in soups and stews. This lentil sprout guacamole would be a great addition for a Super Bowl party.
The following link from the University of California offers suggestions for growing sprouts safely at home including heating the seeds in hydrogen peroxide.
Growing Seed Sprouts at Home
Step 1: Ingredients
1 Small avocado, chopped into 1/2" cubes
1 1/2 Cups Lentil sprouts
2 Tsps Lime juice
1 Finely chopped peeled roasted Jalapeño, about 1 tsp, or to taste
2 Tbsps Finely chopped onion
1/4-1/2 Tsp Salt, to taste
1/4 Tsp Ground red or cayenne pepper
Step 2: Optional: Grow Lentil Sprouts
- Jar with holes drilled/punched in lid
- Jar covered with cheesecloth or fabric with holes, hold fabric in place with a rubber band
- Mason jar with plastic canvas inside screw band
- Your own creation
- Put sprouts in jar, add water, and soak over night or for 12 hours.
- Rinse sprouts and leave sprout jar upside down in a bowl to allow water to drain.
- Rinse sprouts 2-3 times a day
I sprouted Wal-Mart Great Value brand lentil. I drilled holes in a blue plastic peanut butter lid for a safe jar for kids to use to sprout.
Step 3: Mix Ingredients Together
Mix all ingredients together. Serve as a salad or with chips as a dip.