In this instructable, I am going to show you how to build a levitating platform with the induction heater from my previous instructable.
Lenz's Law states that the direction of current induced in a conductor by a changing magnetic field due to Faraday's law of induction will be such that it will create a field that opposes the change that produced it.
The induction heater coil is producing an alternating magnetic field that induces eddy currents in the aluminum. The currents flowing through the aluminum produces an opposite magnetic field that repels the coil. A diamagnetic material like copper or pyrolytic graphite would levitate higher. Innovations in super conductors would make this technology incredibly more useful.
2. Aluminum Extrusions with hardware. You can use wood or whatever else you want to build the structure.
3. Wire. I used Litz wire but you can experiment around with wire that you have on hand that is thicker than 14AWG.
4. Aluminum Foil from the grocery store
5. Aluminum armature wire. You can also use solid core coper wire without insulation
6. Fire pad to keep heat from transferring to your table.
7. Terminal Block for connecting the coil to the heater