Recently someone came around with a free energy saving light bulb for every home. So I made something from an old burnt out bulb that the new one replaced. The bulb was hollowed out, and then suspended on a simple stand.
-a light bulb
-metal rod - I found mine in the junk box. I think it came from a filing system. Something around 3/16"
-A piece of wood. I used part of a wine case. You could use anything really. Try something interesting like drift wood.
-the basic tools: saw, drill, Dremel, pliers.
Disclaimer- Glass is sharp. Be careful. Don't eat light bulbs. This is probably known to cause cancer in the state of California.
Step 1: Hollowing Out the Bulb
I used TeamDroid's guide.
Here's a quick run through.
- Break off the metal contact from the bottom
- Use a screw or a knife to crack the brown glass insulator
- Looking inside you will see the fill tube. Break it off and remove it
- Remove the filament and other debris with needle nose pliers
- Use a dremel to grind down the glass edges inside for extra safety
- Clean out the powder with water
- Scrape off the writing with wire wool