When my first costume idea didn't work out, I needed a fast, cheap, easy DIY costume for Halloween. With a t-shirt I got on sale at Michael's, a chisel sharpie, and one of the battery-powered string lights I got on sale at Target, I made a fun costume in less than an hour! I hope you enjoy and Happy Halloween!
Step 1: Gather Supplies
For this costume, you will need:
- Orange T-shirt
- Cereal box
- Masking tape
- 9ft battery-pack LED string lights
- 3 AA batteries
Step 2: Prepare and Plan Design
In order to prepare and plan:
- Try on the shirt and determine where you want the design to start and end. (I wanted to tuck in my shirt so I needed it to be pretty high up)
- Fold a crease down the center of the shirt so that your design will be centered
- Stick a flattened cereal box in the shirt so that the permanent marker does not stain through
- Use a ruler and draw tick marks at the two ends of the drawing of the mouth with the middle of your design in line with the middle of the shirt
Step 3: Draw Face and Color In
To form the face:
- Find a reference image online (my jack-o-lantern smile is based off of the pumpkin from Disney Channel Original Movie Halloweentown)
- Draw the outline of the smile with a sharpie and use a ruler to approximate the tops and bottoms of the eyes
- Shade in the outline
Step 4: Add Lights
To make your costume light up:
- Remove the cereal box and flip your t-shirt inside out
- Use masking tape to tape down the string lights in patterns around your shapes
- Put in the batteries and test that your lights work
Step 5: Wear and Wow!
For the final steps:
- Gently pull the shirt on
- Put the battery pack in your pocket
- Switch on the lights and enjoy!
Now you have a great costume for day or night!