If you like my projects, I hope you'll check out my new project on Kickstarter
have funs - and yums!
I created this project originally for The Hungry Scientist Handbook
Step 1: What you Need
A standard recipe for lollipops:
* corn syrup
* cream of tartar
* Plastic mold such as a yogurt container
* Sauce pan
* Candy thermometer (can measure up to 300 F)
* Oil or cooking spray
* Measuring cups
Stuff to make an LED go:
* Bic pen
* 2 wires
* 5mm-size LED, any color. make sure it is a "LEAD FREE" or "ROHS" LED.
* 3V coin cell battery
WARNING: if you are in USA it is still legal to sell electronics with lead. you should check that your LED is "LEAD FREE" or "ROHS" before using it in this project. if you are in EU then do not worry, you guys are smart and made it illegal to put lead in the electronics 10 years ago.
Step 2: Wire your LED
- Cut your wire about 2" longer than your Bic pen.
- Strip the ends of the wire with a wire stripper.
- Connect each leg of your LED to a wire. You can just twist them together, you don't need to solder it like I did here.
- After the wires are securely twisted together, cover the bare part of one of the wires with tape, so that it can't accidentally touch the other.
- Take apart the pen leaving just the plastic tube
- insert the wires through the plastic tube until they come out the other end.
- Touch the two wires to the opposite sides of the battery, and your LED should light up. If it doesn't, flip the battery around and try it the other way.