I hope you find this helpful! All of this tutorial can be made on a standard sewing machine, but for ease, I would suggest making this version on a walking foot industrial sewing machine.
I made this at TechShop!
TechShop Pittsburgh: http://www.techshop.ws/pittsburgh.html
TechShop homepage: http://www.techshop.ws/
Step 1: Get your materials together
- Thread: This is not pictured, but I used an all purpose white.
- Fabric: From the dimensions of my phone (height, length, and depth), I cut out fabric pieces according to this equation:
width of fabric = twice the width of my phone + twice the depth of my phone + 1"
length of fabric = length of my phone + 1"
My pieces ended up being 6"x6".
For the strap, I just eyeballed a good length from the lining material, and used a 2" width.
The outside was poly vinyl (the thickness is shown in one of the pictures), and the lining was a medium weight cotton.
- Rotary cutter (or shears)
- Pins or duct tape depending on your fabric
- Standard sewing machine
- Walking Foot Industrial Sewing Machine
- Thread cutter (The sewing machine I used actually had one built in)
- Iron/ironing board (makes hems easier, but make sure your fabric can be ironed.)