You'll have a blast customizing and remixing the variations on this recipe to find your perfect match. More color, more flavor, more gloss? Go for it! Here are some great suggestions to get you started on your path to lip gloss glory!
This basic recipe without any color or scent is also a great alternative to petroleum jelly. Let's end our dependence on petroleum!
Step 1: Materials
- Wax - beeswax or paraffin - grated or in pearls
- Carrier oil - castor, sesame, almond, jojoba, sunflower, coconut, olive, etc. - or a combination of the above.
- Cocoa butter or shea butter
- Vitamin E oil
- Flavoring: natural extract, essential oils, or even kool-aid or torani syrup
- Color: beet juice, lipstick nubs, food coloring, etc.
- Microwave-proof container
- Stirring stick (I use chopsticks)
- Small containers
Step 2: Melt wax
Melt wax. I nuked mine on high for approx 1 min.
Step 3: Add oils
At this point, you're done! But I recommend the following to customize your gloss.
Add 1/8 teaspoon vitamin e oil for its multitude of benefits!
Add 1/4 teaspoon cocoa or shea butter to make lips oh so soft.
Step 4: Add flavor
I've even seen kool-aid drink mix or flavored syrups recommended.
Make sure if you're using an essential oil that you're aware of its specific dilution suggestions. I forgot to do this with my peppermint oil and when I added orange to that, I created chemical weaponry.
The next batch I made used just orange essence. Yum!!
Step 5: Add color
A bit of your favorite lipstick is your best bet here. It's already ready to go!
Alternatively, you can try food coloring, or even beet juice.
Stir it well.
You may need to reintroduce your concoction to the microwave at this point. Try 30 second intervals on high.