In this instructable I will show you how to make little indoor Zen Gardens that can be kept on your desk at work or in your home to relieve stress and help create a calm and clear mind.
I have also included an unorthodox version more suited to the daydreamer than the meditator which I call the Zen Beach. It is good for remembrance of summers past or tropical getaways we dream of taking(but can't afford). In this version there is no symbolic meaning to each of the elements -the sand is just the sand and the beach ball is merely a beach ball. Drinking a few margaritas or mojitos may enhance the experience.
Step 1: Materials:
What you need:
- Saucer -I used a 12cm diameter (and 1cm deep) terracotta saucer from a terracotta plant pot ~50cents each
- Bamboo skewers
- Craft paint and paintbrush
- Sand and pebbles -you can get these at a craft store, gardening store, pet store, or a beach or playground
- Knife or scissors
- Cocktail drink umbrellas (I got mine at the dollar store)
- Fabric - not very much, just about 2X3 cm square
- a bead
- blue and white paint, brushes and felt pens