- hand picked local mesquite pods
- mesquite pods ground into flour
- mesquite pods boiled down into molasses
- custom temperature controller
- converted wine fridge to fermentation container
Step 1: Why Mesquite?
Mesquite is a super food! It has saved many a desert wanderer from starving to death. Check out why we love this food.
1. Local Abundance - In our region it is one of two trees that is virtually all the eye can see for hundreds of miles.
2. Calories - Mesquite is loaded with protein and sugar. 70 calories per tablespoon.
3. Diabetic - Most desert plants produce sugars that are slowly absorbed by the body. This is a good thing for diabetics.
4. High Nitrogen - Mesquite is a legume much like a soy bean. It adds nitrogen a environment that other plants can get in on.
5. $$$ - Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. $20 freaking bucks a pound. That is about 50x what wheat flour sells for.
6. Flour - You can easily convert the mesquite pods into flour (rock, coffee grinder, vita-mix, hammer mill).
7. Molasses - Just boil the pods with some water until it gets thick. This stores well and can act as a preservative for other foods.
8. Mesquite Gets You HIGH! - Well if you take the time to ferment it into beer or wine. The sugar content has been hooking up vintners and brewers for a long time.
9. Other stuff - mesquite is loaded with medicinal properties (anti-inflamatory / anti-parasitic) along with just being a good smoking wood.
Step 2: Mix It Up
2 cups white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup warm water (80F - 110F)
2 Tbl mesquite flour
2 Tbl mesquite molasses
2 Tbl olive oil
2 tsp yeast
1 tsp salt
Wait 40 minutes after first mix.
Punch down ... (mix)
Wait 40 minutes after 2nd mix.
Punch down ... (mix)
Step 3: Transfer to Fermentation Chamber
- Set fermentation chamber temperature to 75F
- Place bread inside for 40 - 50 minutes
Step 4: Place Bread in Oven
- Place tray with a cup of water on lower oven rack
- Place pizza stone on upper oven rack
- Place empty cast iron bread pan on pizza stone
- Set oven to 355F
- Wait 10 minutes for oven to come up to temp
- Place bread goes in pre-heated cast iron pan
- Set timer for 50 minutes
- Remove bread from oven
Step 5: Enjoy!
- Let Bread Cool
This is a delicious bread for toast or sandwiches. The taste is sweet and chocolaty thanks to the molasses.