This is a very simple construction. A Big thanks to Thinkenstein for the idea of using the 1” PVC to deliver the berries to a container. This is my first instructable and I'm very pleased to finally be able to contribute to this amazing Instructables site. In Victoria, BC we're nearing the end of our Blackberry season so I hope this hasn't come too late.
Step 1: Required Items:
2. One Long Reach Pickup device (Dollar store)
3. Two ½” copper pipe brackets (Hardware store)
4. Four small screws and washers (washers needed to keep the screws from entering the pipe too far.
5. Plastic Container – like a yogurt, cottage cheese, etc type that has a snap on lid.
6. Tools: Saw (Hacksaw or band saw); Screwdriver; Drill; Some Painter’s tape or masking tape, Pencil or felt tip pen, xacto knife or box cutter razor.
Step 2: Cutting the PVC pipe:
Step 3: Attach the Long Reach Pincer
Step 4: Attach Copper Pipe Brackets
Step 5: Make the holding container
Step 6: Notes and Video
i) For close berries where you don’t have to reach far this device works well as a simple berry drop without the problem of accidentally spilling a larger handheld container.
ii) Device works well for grabbing branches and moving them out of the way.
iii) Empty the container into your larger bucket regularly so it doesn’t get too heavy and pop the top off.
iv) The reason I made it 5foot long was that the container was bumping against my leg so I made sure it was behind me.
v) I’ve also made a short 2foot pipe with the container and no Long Reach Pincer just for quick berry picking without the worry of spilling an open container.
vi) The video shows it in action, although I seem to be really tugging at these particular berries.