Introduction: Love Bug Vibrobots
Make your own little electronic bug that vibrates to move itself around.
This project was developed for YuKonstruct's All-Ages Valentine's Day Craft Night and was inspired by Spark Truck's vibrobots.
To go with the Valentine's Day theme, we made little vibrobugs with heart shaped wings and pink pompom bodies, but this fun craft project is suitable for any time of year.
YuKonstruct is the first makerspace in Canada's north. Our mission is to provide access to shared space, quality tools, available expertise, and a collaborative environment to help makers build anything!
Step 1: Materials & Tools
For this craft, you'll need:
- coin cell battery
- vibrating motor
- adhesive craft foam
- pipe cleaners
- googly eyes
- hot glue gun or tacky craft glue
Step 2: Assembly
- Stick the vibrating motor onto the battery (you’ll get the best results if it is off center).
- Cut a small piece of sticky-backed foam and use it to attach the motor’s wires to the battery. Red attaches to the + side and black to the – side.
- Turn off the vibrating by pulling up one end of the craft foam.
- Glue on pipe cleaner legs and antennas.
- Glue on googly eyes.
- Decorate as desired with wings or a shell made from foam or felt.
- Stick the wires back down to see your bug dance.
Step 3: Have Fun!
Have fun coming up with your very own vibrobug creations!
Place two vibrobugs in a round dish for little love bug dances or battles, or line them up for races.