Introduction: Low Sugar Cinnamon Plum Jam Recipe Without Pectin
Step 1: Ingredients:
Only 3 ingredients!
2kg (4.4lb) Ripe Plums
10 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
2 Cinnamon Sticks
Step 2: Method:
1. Wash, half and de-stone all the plums. Cut them in halves again.
2. Place them in a large pot (with wide bottom). Add sugar and cinnamon stick.
3. Cook on medium heat for 20 minutes or until the fruits have softened, stirring occasionally.
4. Run the mixture through a sieve (not a very fine mesh one as nothing will come out but the juice). Make sure you get all the flesh through – the only things you don’t need are the skins.
5. Pour the mixture back in the pot and simmer for a further 40 minutes or until you see it has thickened.
Place a small saucer in a fridge before making the jam. When you want to check its thickness, simply take the saucer from the fridge and pour some jam onto it. Leave it cool a few seconds before running your finger through – making a line. If the jam doesn’t fill the line, then you are good to go.
Pour/spoon it into sterilized jars leaving about 1cm/0.4inch free from the top. Seal with lids and turn up-side down. Let it set for 30+ minutes or following day. To see if the jars are properly sealed tap/push down the lid. If it doesn’t pop up it’s sealed. If it does, it is not air-tight. If this happens to you, simply put the jars in your fridge and eat within a week.
Pre-Sanitizing your jars & lids:
Sanitize your jars & lids by washing them in warm soapy water and subsequently boiling them in water bath for 15 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the jars and lids onto a clean kitchen towel turning them up-side down.
Air-tight sealed jars should last for several weeks, if not months. I advise you to follow current safety standards for canning fruits (jar & lid sterilizing + 10 mins water bath in boiling water once the jars are filled and sealed) especially if you want to can large quantities and you also want to keep your jams for several months. I don’t use water bath for extra safety-sterilization simply because I only can in small quantities and we eat our jams very fast (within 1-3 weeks).
Step 3: Subscibe/Follow Us to Get the Latest Updates:
► Website: www.happyfoodstube.com
► Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/happyfoodstube
► Youtube: www.youtube.com/happyfoodstube
► Google+: https://plus.google.com/+happyfoodstube
► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/happyfoodstube
► Instagram: http://instagram.com/happyfoodstube
► Twitter: https://twitter.com/happyfoodstube