After I built mine, my family came out to see the house, and my dad was so taken by it he wanted to recreate it in his garage. I drew up some plans for the bench, gave him a parts list, and came out to help him build it over a weekend. This is the documentation for that build.
First some rational for what I wanted to make and the goals that drove it:
• This will be an “Assembly Bench” as opposed to a woodworking or other specialized bench
• Low waste and only uses materials from the big box stores.
• Should stand up to abuse and needs to be rock solid (read: heavy).
• No fancy joints or tools required, simple construction with screws and bolts
• Lots of storage and surface space.
I spent a while researching what kind of bench I wanted to make and eventually settled on a dimensional lumber with MDF top. The online community is split on MDF, purist wood workers refuse to touch it, others say it doesn't stand up well to abuse. I've done a few things to this bench to try and increase it’s longevity and have had no regrets thus far.