In my particular case, I made this hat for Saint Patrick's day.
I am currently attending Missouri University of Science and Technology, and Saint Pat's is a big deal here, so I decided to use science and technology to make a Saint Pat's themed hat.
You can use the steps here to make an EL wire hat for any occasion. You could make a heart for Valentines Day, pumpkin for Halloween or a tree for Christmas to name a few.
If you have any questions, feel free to comment or message me and I will get back to you.
I hope you enjoy!
Step 1: Materials Needed
First of all, you'll need to buy some EL wire. I used coolneon.com.
- I bought the "5 Foot High Bright Long Life Hella Phat Plug and Play Unit" in green. This item comes with everything you need to start glowing.
- A hat (preferably with a rim which makes it a lot easier) (I got really lucky by finding this green hat at goodwill)
- As always, a trusty Sharpie ;)
- An ice pick
- Fishing line, string or flexible wire (Fishing line doesn't block very much light at all)
- Batteries for the El wire driver
- Any color or type of fabric (about 6 inches by 6)
- Flexible cardboard
- A sewing needle, threader, and thimble
- A hot glue gun