Introduction: MCP73831 Li-Ion / Li-Polymer Battery Charger With Charge Complete Status.
Hi and welcome to my 1st instructable.
I have made my own board using Eagle and hade it made by OSH :) It is shared here: Oshpark This instructable will be a little rough around the edges, as it is my 1st one. The project came about since I tried finding something similar, that would show you when the charge is complete and also have the option for "100" mA / "500" mA. The reason was two fold, one, is that smaller batteries can be charged, and the other, that you can still charge using an older style USB 1.1/ 2.0 Hub, that some only provide 100 mA per port.
Step 1: MCP73831 Li-Ion Charger With Both Charging and Charge Complete Led's and 100 / 500 MA Option.
Tools you will need:
- Headband Magnifyer highly recommended
- Hot air gun/ Hotair rework station or oven
- Power adaptor or portable charger
- Note: If you are using a smart charger, like the one pictured, do not expect to see the green led, as it will power off due to low current draw!
Steps to assemble:
- Solder the switch.
- Add the smallest parts to the board and solder them on low fan speed, else they will move away as soon as the solder paste becomes liquid! - Do not put a lot of solder paste, as they will swim!!!
- Solder the IC's
- Solder the USB
- Last, the through hole connector.
Now for those that want to, they can add a standard switch and solder wires to the board. You will need a SPDT switch.
For soldering, I used a hot air gun. you can do the same, or if you have an oven, you can use that.
I have attached the eagle files for those that may want to change around a few things.
In the word document, there are direct links to the products and also for some further reading.
Also, you can watch the video on Youtube, in a slide show version with no audio.
It is located here:
I did take video footage, but it was slightly out of focus, and the sound for the hot air makes it annoying.
Enjoy and happy building.
Total cost: Under $7Aud per board. much more if you do not have the items already.
You are allowed to use the board for personal use. Business/ Professional use not permitted, and also please give due credit if you share this design :)
There is another version with mostly Through hole and of a similar size, of which I will publish over time, and another version is in the works with 10 more LED's and 10 charging levels.