The purpose of a microphone shock mount is to mechanically insulate a microphone from picking unwanted mechanical noise through the microphone stand. This noise can be caused by nearby vibrations like kick drum, people movements etc.
A friend of mine, who works as a Sound Engineer at tango.me (FREE Mobile Calls) asked if I could come up with a better microphone shock mount.
Step 2: I first tried to make the support with a welding electrode
Step 3: I then tried to make the microphone support by bending welding electrodes
Step 4: Nothing was working so I asked a Techshop staff member for help
Step 5: I made the first prototype in less than 5 minutes on the laser cutter
Step 6: After making the first prototype on the laser, the same TechShop staff member (thanks Brian) suggested using Autocad Inventor 2012 to make the real deal. This took more than 5 minutes, but was worth it :-))
Step 9: The sketch1 consists on:
- a circle centered in the origin with a 7" diameter
- a circle centered in the origin with a 6.75" diameter
- a circle centered in the origin with a 6.5" diameter
- a 8 x .1" rectangle centered in the origin
Step 13: Draw :
- a 2.5 x .5" rectangle, its left bottom corner needs to be placed on the origin
- 2 small rectangles, 1 and 2 inches, from the origin and over the x axel with a size of .1
- 2 small circles with a .1 diameter, with the center over the edge and 1 and 2 inches from the axle y
Step 14: Fillet both corners of one end with .25" Then create a construction line over the y axle, and mirror the object
Step 24: Now let's use the laser to cut the acrylic piece.
First, export the rings and the spacers as DXF
Step 25: Open Corel Draw and open both files
Display the element in a way so that you maximize the use of the acrylic
Step 28: Install it where you want :-)
Thanks to Techshop staff for helping me with the design :-)
Step 29: Now, it is time to check if there is a real improvement in the sound quality with my new support ...
Step 30: But I won't stop there, another friend from Techshop pressed me to improve more a bit, suggesting to reduce the natural frequency of the system.
The idea is to uneven the distance between the mass and the support by changing the size of each rubber band, and by hanging a different mass on each rubber band in a different position.
COOL IDEA !