Step 7: Microwaves and You

As much as you may love microwaves they don't love you so you gotta be careful around them!  Microwaves do not have enough energy to chemically change substances by ionization because they are below the level of non-ionizing radiation. The word "radiation"only means that energy can radiate. It dose not mean radioactive in this case but it can. It has not been shown conclusively that microwaves have enough adverse biological effects at low levels. Some but not all studies suggest that long-term exposure may have a carcinogenic effect. This is separate from the risks associated with very high intensity exposure, which can cause heating and burns like any heat source, and not a unique property of microwaves specifically.During World War II, it was observed that individuals in the radiation path of radar installations experienced clicks and buzzing sounds in response to microwave radiation. This microwave auditory effect was thought to be caused by the microwaves inducing an electric current in the hearing centers of the brain. Research by NASA in the 1970s has shown this to be caused by thermal expansion in parts of the inner ear. When injury from exposure to microwaves occurs, it usually results from dielectric heating induced in the body. Exposure to microwave radiation can produce cataracts by this mechanism, because the microwave heating denatures proteins in the crystalline lens of the eye faster than the lens can be cooled by surrounding structures. The lens and cornea of the eye are especially vulnerable because they contain no blood vessels that can carry away heat. Exposure to heavy doses of microwave radiation (as from an oven that has been tampered with to allow operation even with the door open) can produce heat damage in other tissues as well, up to and including serious burns which may not be immediately evident because of the tendency for microwaves to heat deeper tissues with higher moisture content. NEVER get inside a microwave and close the door, you can't always get out!
<p>Informative article, I have heard that microwaves produce small amounts of radiation but still not sure if it harms human&rsquo;s health on daily basis while using microwave ovens. I am thinking of purchasing a Geiger counter for my household at <a href="https://ecotestgroup.com/ " rel="nofollow">ecotestgroup.com</a> to detect radiation at home. I also found some interesting information on microwaves usage, for example: microwaves are used to detect speeding cars and to send telephone and television communications. Industry uses microwaves to dry and cure plywood, to cure rubber and resins.</p>
<p>Hi, reading your article, I can only say you're wrong. First, excuse my bad English. I work with transmitters much smaller than a microwave power and suffer tinnitus. With the microwave time is not important, but the dose you receive is important. Think that nothing will happen if the molecules of your body change position 2,500,000,000 per second?. A watt and half non-ionizing radiation kills your sperm in 12hrs. Also liquefies your blood and causes damage to the DNA. Never expose yourself to a magnetron !!! Stay away from WIFI and Bluetooth. Use wired, not wireless phones. Use the cell phone for short periods of time, and stay away from the antenna masts. You must inform more, you can produce you one irrebersible damage in a very short time. Greetings. Visit http://www.bioinitiative.org/</p><p><iframe allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="281" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bXCCvoiWt0g " width="500"></iframe></p>
<p>Military honchos in the cold war told me they used to step in front of power transmitters just enough to raise sperm temp making them impotent for a weekend of pleasure on leave... </p>
Hey! How the hell do i make/get a waveguide ????
<p>You take a senior math course on how to calculate curls of electric/magnetic field vectors and then wave guide theory...</p>
fascinating well done,.. informative... short and to the point. do i sound like your English teacher? you gave me enough knowledge to understand what we all now take for granted. I have some friends that wont enter a room witha microwave in it and others who use them for all the kitchen needs. I am still learning about them,..I thank you very much. The grape exp. played but the other utube didnt.
Are there any materials that do not reflect microwaves and are electrically conductive?
Cute Article,&nbsp; Not much instructions as much as education, but still a cute science report.<br> <br> You did miss one critical point:<br> <br> What EM radiation in the microwave region does to people.<br> <br> With that in mind, unless you want to risk <strong>STERILITY </strong>and <strong>BLINDNESS</strong>, best to give that last step a pass.

About This Instructable




More by Jimmy Proton:Make a 240V MOT high voltage power supply with 120V transformers awesome MOT power supply My vacuum tube collection 
Add instructable to: