MIDI controlled light bulb fixture using vintage style "edison" light bulbs.
The control box serves a few purposes, but mainly allows you to change modes:
- CLASSIC - MIDI notes are mapped to bulbs Cn-Bn mapped to bulbs 1-12, intensity of bulbs is fully on, sustain pedal holds notes of same time, clears all bulbs when released.
- VELOCITY - same as Classic, but intensity of bulb is controlled by the velocity of the note played.
- SCROLLING (shown in video) - in this mode, bulbs are lit up sequentially as more notes are played, with intensity of the bulb based on velocity of the note. Releasing the sustain pedal clears the bulbs.
- AUTOMATIC - Slow moving algorithm that creates a changing visual display in random patterns.
I divided the steps up into three parts :
- Hardware (1-3) - Light bulbs, sockets, mounting, etc.
- Electronics (4-7) - Explanation of circuitry, how to control light bulb intensity (dimming), midi communication
- Software (8-10) - Details into the Arduino firmware, using timers, interrupts and PWM to control the light bulb intensity.