Step 1: MATERIALS & TOOLS
>>>1 reduction gearbox-
(make sure to put all gears in when building it to get slowest speed possible)
>>>meter long piece of wooden dowel that it about half an inch thick
>>>3 40mm crystal (glass) sun catchers
>>>LEDS, i got very bright blue, red, green, ultra violet, yellow, white from dealextreme.com and eBay
>>>hobby box from jaycar (big enough to fit gearbox)
>>>screws & nails
>>>1cm black PVC piping or 1cm thick wooden dowel (1 and half to 2 meters be sufficent)
>>>sheet of 1cm thick wood
>>>thing from computer (in 2nd picture)
>>>Drill attachment that makes holes (3 inches wide at least)
OPTIONAL (i won't be explaining how to use these sorry)
>>>heat shrink tubing
>>>switches (one for motor, one for lights)
>>>revolving led star
>>>different coloured leds
>>>power jack (to plug it in to from above the machine)
Step 2: THE GEARBOX
Step 3: THE 3 ARMS AND CRYSTAL PLACEMENT
Step 4: THE LED STAR OF LIGHT
Step 5: LED PLACEMENT ON STAR
Step 6: LED STAR SUPPORTING FRAME
Step 7: POWERING THE UNIT & USE
1: Use a 3V battery pack and connect it to the motor. Add a switch if necessary for this application. Next get a 6 volt battery pack and run the power to the leds and add a switch if necessary. Double sided sticky tape will hold the batteries in place. This is not the best option until...
2. Drill a hole in the top middle of the hobby box big enough for a power jack. Connect the positive and negative for the motor and positive and negative for the leds (add switches if necessary). Check that no wiring will come undone and seal the box up. Attach a 3V 1Amp transformer and turn it on. Close all blinds, curtains and turn of all lights. Enjoy the magical light show of the device you have just made.
Sorry that I'm not going into any detail about switch wiring because it is too complex.
Step 8: PAINTING, CONCLUSION FUTURE MODELS & TROUBLE SHOOTING
I had fun making the machine and just as much fun making this instructable. I hope you like this instructable and vote for it in this competition. I thank you greatly for watching and if you vote!
FUTURE MODELS could contain remote control, arduino / micro controller, more leds, etc. I won't be adding any of these though because i don't know how to fit them.
1. Leds don't light- check the wire connection and that nothing is shorting.
2. Motor doesn't work- Check the wiring to the motor and that nothing is shorting.
3. Crystals are hanging at different heights- ad a counter weight to the opposite end that is drooping. I had to use lead weights in my machine.
4. Motor gears fall out- use the rubber stoppers supplied and attach using a vice or clamp.
5. Crystal light fragments are blurry- either clean the crystals or adjust how far the crystals are away from the leds to get a sharper image.