Here is "MR:NONE", the Art Toy you can print and customable.
You have a 3D printer, some building skills, If you love art and painting, this project is for you!! Art Toy MR:NONE is designed to be repainted and reinterpreted by street artists & traditional artists from many different backgrounds. The MR:NONE‘s design is created using a CAD Open Source software and and distribuited whit Creative Commons license. The production is done by 3D printers REP RAP self-crafted by the team. All the creative management, marketing and adv campaign, is done on the web and on related social networks. So MR:NONE is produced with the passion of the community that wants and will want to follow him. Web site where you will find all the instructions about MR:NONE's project:
Other social network:
During Halloween Art Toy MR:NONE takes on a new identity! That of the Jack O'lantern legend.
Please download and print the templates to get started.
Step 1: Materials and Tools
You can build your very own Art Toy MR:JACK
with this short list of materials and tools:
Filament for 3D Printers (Orange and Withe PLA, or other...)
Standard Milliput (to shape the plastic)
PVA glue (for the print floor)
Battery and Led
Various types of colors (pencil, wax, etc.)
Tools for modeling
Step 2: Sketch
To help give an identity to the Art Toy, we decided to create a simple Template on which you can experiment.
Download the Template and fun to customize drawing and color creating a project!
Step 3: 3D Modeling
I created the new head (Halloween Pumpkin) for the Art Toy with Tinkercad:
- I drew the pumpkin head with INKSCAPE and saved in SVG format.
- I imported in Tinkercad the SVG file.
- Finally, I changed the head of the MR:NONE and exported in STL.
Step 4: Download
The first step in creating your Art Toy is visit this page MR:NONE, and download legs, torso and arms in STL format.
You can also find the project on the page:
You can download the new Head (Halloween Pumpkin) of the toy to this page:
Step 5: 3D Print
BODY (torso, arms, legs)
After downloading all the STL model of Art Toy, the next step will be to get a 3D Printer (FDM tecnology) and choose the filament, so as to determine the material of which will be done.
- I used a 3D printer (REP RAP model), built by me... But you can use any model.
- The software that I use for the management of 3d printing is "Repetier Host" and Slic3r for slicing of STL model.
The Art Toy is made been printed with Green PLA filament. The following are the parameters used for printing:
- Layer height - 0.2
- Temperature nozzle - 210 (cooled by fan)
- Dish - cold
- Speed 40 millimeters per second
- Perimeters 3
- Infill: 20/30 % (or above to ensure a good closing of the upper layers)
HEAD (Halloween Pumpkin)
After downloading all the STL model of Head, the next step will be to get a 3D Printer (FDM tecnology) and choose the filament, so as to determine the color of which will be done.
- For Head I used a 3D printer (Rep Rap / Galileo Smart). But you can use any model.
- The software that I use for the management of 3d printing is "CURA" for slicing of STL model.
The Art Toy is made been printed with Orange PLA filament.
Look at the print parameters in the image.
Step 6: Postproduction
After printing, with your 3D printer, all components of the toy. They can be assembled!
But first you have to finish it ...
- First, the supports should be removed, that the printer creates, with the help of the cutter.
- Then they finished the joints with the help of Dremel Kit, rasp, cutter and sandpaper. Check if they engage well with each other...
- Finally you can smooth the points not perfect and assemble controlling the joints of the arms, head and legs.
We create the dress of MR:JACK, shaping Milliput.
- Standard Milliputis our general purpose grade – it has been used for many years for the toughest tasks. Some typical applications include modelmaking, jewellery making and sculpting.
How to work with Milliput:
- Mixing component A with component B (catalyst) to 50%.
- When the components become one color, apply on the toy's body printed in 3D.
- Mold the Milliput with the help of tools such as seen in the photos.
- After 24 hours the plastic becomes very hard and can be sanded and painted.
Step 7: Electronic
But how do we light the head of our toy? On the occasion of Halloween celebrations.
We can do it with a battery and two LEDs inside a bottle cap.
Follow the photos!
Step 8: Customize
When all components have been printed and finished, they can be assembled.
But the goal of our Art Toy is to be customized.
So we dedicate ourselves to the color of the toy, inspiring us to The Jack O'lantern legend!
To paint the toy I used acrylic colors is a fixative.
You can view all the steps through the photos.
Step 9: Thanks!
Sorry for my bad English, but I hope it is understandable. Special thanks to Makers Modena FabLab and Fab Lab Messina for machines and tools.
If you create your custom MR:NONE, we would be happy to receive photos and your contact!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.