Try to buy blocks of cheese rather than the pre-grated/crumbled ones. My rule of thumb: the less processed a food is, the better it tastes.
- 2 cups of elbow pasta, cooked
- 1 cup of 2% milk (I cut calories where it doesn't impact the taste)
- 10 button mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup of baby spinach
- 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water
- 1 spring of scallion cut
- 1/4 cup of each of these cheeses, freshly grated: Parmesan, feta and mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons of bleu cheese
- 2 slices of bacon, crumbled
- 6 saltine crackers, crumbled (again cutting the calories)
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Black pepper, garlic powder an paprika to taste.
Meanwhile, layer the following in a deep baking dish:
- Cooked macaroni
- The cheeses
Mix it together.
Add the spinach, scallions and mushrooms, mix it.
- Bacon, saltines and parmesan cheese.
Finish it off with some black pepper and a sprinkle of paprika.