Who doesn't love Macaroni and Cheese?? But who has the energy to eat it with a fork/spoon/spork? I know I don't, so I thought to myself "Why don't I make Mac&Cheese on a stick?" ... so it was thought, so shall it be done ^_^
Step 1: Making Macaroni
- 1 3/4 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/4 cup warm milk
- Pinch of nutmeg and cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (I used marble, but you could use any good quality hard cheese Gruyere, mozzarella, cheddar)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium sized pot, bring some salted water to a boil and cook macaroni as per instructions on the bag. Once al dente, drain the pasta and set aside.
2. In a separate saucepan, melt the butter.
3. Add flour to butter, whisking vigorously until mixture if of uniform consistency. Remove pot from heat, and slowly add the warm milk (whisking continuously to avoid lumps).
4. Return butter + flour + milk mixture to stove and bring to a simmer. Add cayenne and nutmeg, and continue to stir.
5. Once sauce thickens, remove pan from heat and add in the cheese. Continue to stir sauce until cheese dissolves.
6. In a casserole dish, combine the sauce and the macaroni. Mix thoroughly until all pasta is coated with cheese sauce. Cover dish, and place macaroni in the fridge for at least 4 hours (best if placed in fridge overnight).