Introduction: Madewell Shirt Dress Inspired Refashion
A week ago I saw this simple and cute shirt dress on Madewell’s website. I instantly thought of doing a DIY version of the shirt dress. My goal with this tutorial is to make it really simple so that even beginner sewers can make it.
Step 1: Supplies
2 button down shirt that are 1- 2 sizes larger than what you wear. Both shirts need to be the same size. I went 1 size larger as I did want to have to deal with a lot of fitting issues. *Be sure to get shirts that are made of high-quality cotton. ( I purchased both of my shirts from the Thrift Store in the men’s section for $4.00 each.)
Step 2: Step 1
1. Using a seam ripper remove the pocket from the white shirt. Then give that area of the shirt a good pressing.
Step 3: Step 2
2. Now it’s time to measure and cutFor the white shirt, you are going to measure 1 1/2″ above the last button. Draw a line across the shirt at your measurement and cut. (Make sure your shirt is buttoned before measuring and cutting.)
Step 4: Step 3
3. With the blue shirt (make sure the shirt is buttoned as well) measure down 1/4″ below pocket. Mark your measurement across the shirt and cut. (If you desire more length remove the pocket off the blue shirt, press the area and cut right under the arm’s all the way across.)
Step 5: Step 4
4. Unbutton both shirts pin them right side’s together at the raw edge and sew with a 5/8″ seam allowance. ( If you need more length use a 1/2″ seam allowance.) Trim and finish seam with picking shears, serger or zig-zag stitch.
Step 6: Step 5
5. Try your shirt on and decide how long you would like your sleeves to be. Mark the area with a pin. Now lay the sleeves out flat. Add 1″ to the pinned area. Mark your measurement and cut. Repeat to the other sleeve. Next press your raw sleeve edge under 1/2″ and then again 1/2″. Pin to secure and sew close to the edge. Repeat with the other sleeve.
Step 7: Step 6
6. Give your seams and shirt dress a good press and you’re done.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.