Introduction: Madoka Kaname Magical Flower Bow and Arrow Set (cosplay Magical Girl)
First of all this is an anime cosplay for Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Kaname's weapon — flower bow).
I gathered a lot of references on pinterest:
By the end of this tutorial you will find how to make the bow set.
Supplies you need (I got most of them in Michael's):
2 pre-wired cheery blossom/rose branches
1 pre-wired rose branch
2 flower arrangement green cones
1 hot glue gun
acrylic paint in gold and pink
heavy weight paper
1 small bag of air dry paper clay
double sided tape
pencil for drawing
paint color reference chips (at home depot paint section, dark pink, white and light baby pink)
Step 1: Gather Flowers That Are Already Pre-wired Inside
I brought these flowers at Michael's.
A rose batch with one full open and two half blooms (for the head of the bow and arrow body)
A rose batch with very long steam and small branches (for the main body of the flower bow)
When choosing the length of the strems, think of how long you want the bow body to be. I am 5' so I only need two rose batches, and if you are taller than me you might need to buy more stems to tape them together.
Step 2: Tape Them Together and Bend
1. take off all the flowers from the bow body main branch.
2. There are three roses on top of the bow, tape and wired them in spiral so they stay on the branch.
3. Bottom of the bow has two leaves (from reference, but I put 3).
Step 3: Bend the Whole Stem
Bend them into the ideal shape of a bow.
Step 4: Add Diamond Shape to the Arrow.
1. Draw the diamond base- three fingers' height.
2. Cut out 4 diamonds in heavy weight paper.
3. tape the diamonds to the bow where they are supposed to be.
Step 5: Print Out the 3d Paper Diamond
1. print out the diamond template I designed.
2. fold them ,using double sided tape inside.
3. paint the diamonds in hot pink or the pink you think matches the reference.
4. wait until fully dry. Best to wait for a night.
note: I ended up have to spray paint it, acrylic paint is not a good option unless you coat multiple layers of paint.
Step 6: Make the Back Side Flat Diamond Anime Like
1. Gather paint chips from Home Deport's paint section (it's free lol)
2. use the template 3d diamond shape to trace the shape onto the chips.
3. cut out the base diamond darker pink.
4. use the light pink to make the shape to give a 3d effects.
5. add white shapes for highlights.
Step 7: Make the Paper Clay Diamond Base for the Bow Body
1. cut out the diamond shape 0.5 inch taller and wider than the gem template on paper.
2. lay down the paper shape and cut the diamond shape on paper clay. We need 4 of them.
3. Sandwich the paper clay diamond shape and mold them on to the bow body.
4. Seal the paper clay edges by hand.
5. wait until fully harden and dries.
6. cover the flowers with plastic wrap and spray paint in gold (inside the box).
Step 8: Glue the Diamonds and Bow Is Finished.
1. wait until spray paint dries and glue or double side tape the diamonds for both sides.
2. Yay the bow is finished.
Step 9: Making the Pink Arrow
1. gather 2 green cones from michael's flower section.
2. measure and cut the green cone smaller for the arrow head.
3. for the arrow body, hold the leftover branches together and wrap them with tape.
4. strip the tip of the branches down to the wire and stick the green cone on top. (do this on both tip and end)
6. use paper with double sided tape inside to wrap the green cones.
7. for the flame effects, draw the zig zag pattern on paper and cut it out.
Step 10: Paint the Arrow and Finished
1. spray paint with white primer and finish coat of pink paint or one coat of paint+primer spray paint combo (available at Home Depot).