Introduction: Magic Marker Calendar
Counting down the days to an important event or holiday can be nerve wrecking. This easy -to-sew colorful calendar can help pass the time in a playful & creative manner.
The Magic Marker Calendar is a weekly calendar covered in pockets, fitted for a variety of markers and pens. Every day place one magic marker in a designated pocket, the ink will bleed into the cotton fabric and create an eye-catching playful countdown. Repeat adding markers until all pockets are full and enjoy the show
Step 1: Materials
- 1 A4 printed stencil file. If you wish to create a longer countdown, add and resize the pockets in the attached vector file
- 2 pieces of printed / white / light colored cotton fabric, cut to full stencil size (8.3*11.7 inches).You are welcome to re-use old linen, T-shirts or fabric scraps.
- 3-4 pins for connecting the printed stencil to the fabric
- Washable magic markers. finally you could do something with all those magic markers with no lid. Add a splash of water to old and dry markers and they work as well. The washable magic markers allow reusing the Weekly Calendar or cleaning the working/showcasing surface.
- Permanent marker. For a fun way to show your loved one you are awaiting his or her return – take the time to dedicate text or decorate the fabric with personal drawings.
- Short string for hanging and showcasing on the wall.
- Fabric glue to affix string to the Calendar.
Step 2: Stencil
Download and print the stencil vector file. Cut text square from stencil page according to the graphic instructions on the stencil.
Step 3: Connect First Fabric
Align stencil and the first piece of fabric and pin together as seen in pic.
Write greetings on fabric in designated text box (optional)
Step 4: Cut Pocket Openings
Assisted by the graphic folding line, lightly fold the fabric and cut the pocket openings according to the graphic instructions on the stencil and as seen in pic.
Step 5: Connect Second Fabric
Align the second piece of fabric with the already layered and pinned stencil and fabric, re-insert the pins to join the 2 layers of fabric back to back and secure the stencil on top.
Step 6: Sew
Using a sewing machine, sew the 2 pieces and stencil together according to stencil lines and symbols explained in the stencil file. Make sure to sew the external outlines as well as the 7 pockets.
Step 7: Dispose of Paper Stencil
Gently rip the paper stencil apart and reveal the fabric pockets created underneath.
Step 8: Hanging Element
Fold and glue the edges of the two fabric pieces together to avoid unraveling. Glue a short string to the calendar as seen in depicting pic(optional).
Place the countdown calendar on the fridge or wall for display and place the magic markers one by one in the pockets.
Step 9: Congrats!
Your weekly calender is complete! Will you jump ahead of time? or can you resist and only place one marker a day? (gradually creating the time coloring effect) .
Please comment and share your thoughts and questions.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.