1) Turn on iPod
2) Connect to Arduino using the PodGizmo plug.
3) Put an RFID "brick" over the RFID reader.
4) Power up the Arduino.
5) It should connect and music should play.
6) Change the RFID "brick" and make sure the track being played changes. Usually the red light on the RFID reader will flash twice (take 2 readings), 10 seconds apart and then the music will change. If that works OK then it is working fine!
1) Turn off the Arduino.
2) Turn off the iPod by pressing the button on top left edge (you can leave it connected at the PodGizmo plug so as not to stress socket by repeated unplugging). NOTE, if you just put it to "sleep" it will continue playing until battery goes flat as it still thinks it is connected to an external device, you need to turn it off properly (hold top left button for about 4 seconds)
At next startup, turn on iPod (takes a moment to get itself going), then turn on Arduino, and iPod should sync with the Arduino automatically as you power the Arduino up.
From time to time I will update this page with additional reading.
For now here is David Findlay's website which inspired me to do this:
Here is the big table of what each pin does in the Apple 30 pin connector, and the variations for each type of iPod and iPhone.
Here is some more information on the Apple Accessory communication protocol
My iPod Touch generation 2 has a quirk that means it will not automatically charge when in an accessory docking port. I think this was fixed in later versions. You can trick it into doing so by using a series of resistors soldered between various pins in the PodGizmo breakout board and all the details are given in the pinouts.ru link above. This is very fiddly however with plenty of scope to make Pod-damaging errors so for now I have left it out of this instructable. Leave well alone unless you are feeling confident.
Enter the email associated with your account and we will send you your username and a temporary password.
That's a pro feature!
Want to go pro?
First step is to sign up.
Already a member?" Login »