Step 1: Step 1 - Tools and Materials
- Sheet metal ( ferrous, you want it to be magnetic ) – mine came from the case of a microwave magnet. Microwaves are often a source of parts, search the web, instructables, or as a sample see this: Taking Apart A Microwave by dog digger http://www.instructables.com/id/Taking-Apart-A-Microwave/
- Donuts magnets from a microwave oven
- ¼ inch hardboard or plywood ( mine was salvaged from old flooring )
- Remains of a lamp or other tool to mount
- Saw to cut the sheet metal and hardboard
Step 2: Step 2 - Prepare the Base
Then cut one or more pieces of sheet metal to pretty much cover the surface of the hardboard. I used 2 lalyers. This material is to let the magnetic flux “flow easily” from one magnet to the next, this will increase the strenthh that the base holds on. Glue up ( with the expoxy so the metal is on one side the hardboard. Use clamps and let it harden well. When the glue has set drill a mounting hole for the lamp between the space for the magnets.