Sugru is good for this hack because :
- it bonds well with wood and metal
- it creates a layer between magnets that makes it easy to do and undo sugru bonds
- I could color code my sticks :)
This instructables was made for sugru.com at TechShop San Francisco.
Step 1: Cutting the wood sticks to size
You could use other wooden sticks but barbecue bamboo sticks are great, they are long, light, strong, flexible, and cheap. I bought 150 sticks for one british pound (~1.5 $) at the corner shop.
The magnets are coming from Firstformagnet.com, they were the cheapest one doing next day delivery in the UK.
For USA delivery, you can get them here really fast : http://www.getbuckyballs.com
I use sugru : 8 coloured mini-packs in a lovely large pouch, each mini pack allowing me to coat at least 4 single heads.
- £ 16.66 (~$ 25) : SuperCool GunMetal Magnet Xtreme Neodymium Puzzle 1 Premium N42 Official 5mm Size Spheres
- £ 12 (~$ 18) : Sugru Multi-color 20g x3 and had 2/3 of sugru extra for other fun projects!
- £ 1 (~$ 1.55): bamboo sticks
First you want to cut the wood sticks to size. Because we are cutting many small things, I highly recommend using a metal saw (small teeth) to have a rather clean cut and avoiding cutting yourself. Wear gloves - not like me :)