Introduction: Mahogany Cube Speakers
I built these Mahogany full range DIY cube speakers to use with a computer system!
10" x 3/4" x 6ft Red Oak Wood for the front and back plates of each speaker
10" x 3/4" x 10ft Pine for the sides of the speaker
2 wide range drivers (Creative Sound Solutions WR125STR)
2 binding post plugs from Amazon
Varathane 1 step stain (Mahogany colour)
Step 1: Get Your Parts Sorted and Prepare a Plan
I got all my parts laid out and sorted. I wanted to make the speakers a cube so I knew I needed 4 squares from the Oak for the front and back of each speaker and 8 sides for the remaining sides of the speakers.
Step 2: Cut and Assemble
I used a speed square to mark out squares in the planks. I measured the width then cut the length to make the squares. I cut the pieces using a circular saw.
I then measured the height of the wood (3/4" wood is usually less than 3/4"). I trimmed 4 pine squares to accommodate the edges by taking 2 x the width off. Essentially, if the top and bottom are full squares, the sides will need to be slightly smaller to fit in. The reduction in height will be equal to 2 heights. This will make sense in the following pictures.
I cut the front and back oak pieces using similar logic to the point above. I took off 2 widths from each axis to be able to slot the front and back into the frame.
I measured and cut the centre hole for the driver and the rear holes for the binding posts using a jig saw.
I assembled the pieces by making the side frame (made of pine) and gluing into place using clamps. I sanded the open cube down.
I then inserted the front and back pieces into the frame and glued into place. I sanded the entire cube with a final sand grit of 220 grit.
The picture shows the speakers post sanding, prior to finishing with the stain. You'll notice the centre circles are rough, but it doesn't matter as they will be covered by the speaker.
Step 3: Stain!
I then stained the cubes over the course of a day using a brush and 1-step stain. I applied two coats.
Step 4: Final Assembly
I then screwed on the speaker and binding posts. (They were connected with speaker wire). Voila!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.