In some point in the life of every electronics hobbyist the need to make a clock is borned, in my case it was about a month after I soldered my first part on a board, but back then I didn't have the right tools, parts and knowledge to do such a thing.
But after about 2 years I got all the things I didn't have back then and I was ready to make my first digital clock, and with all the LEDs I had left over from my 8x8x8 LED cube project I decided to make my own custom LED clock.
So join me and build your own custom LED digital clock powered by our favorite little micro-controller the Arduino.
Here is what tools you will need to make this:
1) Soldering Iron.
2) Some solder wire.
3) Small needle nose plier
4) Small cuter
5) Wire striper
I made my clock with a stand alone arduino without the original board because I wanted to make a finished project.
Now here are the parts you will need to make the clock:
1) 130 LEDs.
2) 15 2N4401 transistors.
3) 20 1K resistors.
4) about 10 resistors for the current protection(more detail in step 2). I used 150Ohms.
5) DS1307 real time clock IC.
6) one coin cell battery holder.
7) 4 Tact switches.
8) Prefboard (you would like to get along one for the display about 8inch*3inch)
9) ATMega328 with arduino bootloader.
10) A programmer for programing the chip.
11) 7805 voltage regulator.
12) 16MHz crystal.
13) two 22pF caps.
14) 28 pin IC socket for the ATMega328.
15)10 uF cap.
16)0.1 uF cap.
17) 4017 counter
18) 32.768KHz crystal