While these might not be the most glamourous toys out there, but kid's imaginations fill in the gaps, and they are toys that are safe for the bath.
I will be making a couple demonstration figures, He-man and an ninja turtle.
Step 1: What You Will Need
- Soap - Can be either new or used scraps. I haven't tried every soap, but generally white soaps work the best, colored soaps should work too, but if you are coloring your soap, the existing colors can cause problems.
- Moulds - I just used your everyday Play-doh mould. You just want to make sure your mould is a hard mould since the soap will not be liquid.
- Crayons - To color your soap, non-toxic and non staining.
- A double boiler - A pan with water in it, with a sauce pot in it makes a perfect double boiler.
- A cheese grater - You will not be grating cheese.
- Rubber Band - or other binder for closing your mould.
- Large stirring spoon or rubber spatula - for mixing.
- A freezer and stovetop.
Step 2: Shred some Soap
Once you have your soap procured and dry enough, start grating your soap in your pot. You will have shredded soap. Once your soap is shredded, add a teaspoon or so of water if it was already dry, the exact amount will depend on how much soap you used.
Now Turn on the heat and start melting some soap!
Step 3: Now we're cooking!
Once the soap has a consistency of lard, you can throw in color. Take the paper off of a coloring crayon of your choice and toss it in the pot. The wax will quickly melt. Stir it in. and you will have your colored soap mush.
The more you stir, the more uniform the color will look. If you don't stir as much, your soap will have a marbled texture like the ninja turtle pictured on the front page. When the color is how you like, you can move on the next step.
Step 4: It's Moulding time!
Quickly close the mould and hold it tight. Remove all excess soap from the edges. Now clamp the mould tight with your rubber band.
As soon as the mould is tight, throw it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
Step 5: Your Soap is Done!
Now go take a bath and enjoy your creation! ^_^