Don't get me wrong, I think the entry level brew kits are a good value. They include some special equipment not used here that will make things easier. But, will you enjoy the beer or find the brewing process rewarding? I think so. This project will allow you to find out for yourself.
Step 1: Equipment
- Brew pot - any large kitchen pot that will hold a couple of gallons of water with room to spare to avoid boiling over.
- Kitchen strainer - to strain grains and hops before going to the fermenter
- Kitchen thermometer
- Large funnel
- Rolling pin - for crushing the grain
- 3 gallon container of bottled water - this will provide you with the water to make your beer and serve as your fermentation container
- Bottling container - An empty container of at least 3 gallons...could be another empty water bottle or a clean, scratch-free, food grade plastic bucket.
- 3 feet of 3/8" clear poly-vinyl tubing - for siphoning and fermentation air lock
- Bottles - there are a lot of options here and I'll cover some of them in the bottling step later