For those of you that don't know, German Dark aluminum powder is a special type of aluminum powder that has charcoal added to it. The charcoal prevents the aluminum from oxidizing into aluminum oxide when the aluminum is of a very fine grain. Preventing this makes the powder considerably more reactive, and, not to mention dangerous.
DISCLAIMER: I CANNOT be held responsible for any harm, injury, or death caused by misuse of this material. By following these instructions, you must be aware at all times that you are risking the safety of yourself and others.
Here's a video of me igniting a bit of the powder because I was bored. I sound like Justin Bieber in it due to the fact that I was 14 at the time.
Okay then, let's make some of the stuff!
Step 1: Get the Ingredients and Supplies
- Aluminum Foil
- A Rock Tumbler
- 1 tablespoon of powdered charcoal
- About 25 steel balls, for the grinding media
- A Large Magnet (Not pictured)
- Sheets of paper (Not pictured)
Step 2: Shredding the Foil
Once you are done, you're ready for the fun.
Step 3: Load the Barrel
After this is done, add 1 tablespoon of charcoal powder.
Step 4: Grinding Process
- Now seal the barrel and set it on the Rock Tumbler. Turn it on.
- Within an hour, the confetti will have been smushed into a mess of aluminum grains. Top off the barrel with more aluminum confetti and continue running the tumbler.
- Keep grinding and adding more aluminum until the barrel has been filled slightly over half-full with aluminum.
- Now let the powder grind for 6-7 days undisturbed.