The day after Thanksgiving is traditionally the single largest business day in the American retail calendar. But people were not born to shop, its a learned behaviour. Buy Nothing Day actions only require that the participants spend a day without spending.
Make some mittens to help curb your consumption:
1. Reuse something you were gonna throw away ( an old sweater )
2. Don't spend any money making this
3. Make it more difficult for yourself to reach in your pocket, wallet, or purse... and spend $$$
4. One of a kind MITTENS!!! How can you go wrong???
From the Adbusters website:
Reasons for participating in Buy Nothing Day are as varied as the people who choose to participate. Some see it as an escape from the marketing mind games and frantic consumer binge that has come to characterize the holiday season, and our culture in general. Others use it to expose the environmental and ethical consequences of overconsumption.
This instructable was inspired by an ad on the back page of the November/December 2007 issue of Adbusters magazine.
**** Just got a link from my dad... Martha Stewart had a holiday segment where they made this type of mittens and other used sweater craft. Here is the link Craft Sweater Mittens Etc*********
Step 1: What you Need
1. An Old Sweater... preferably one you don't to wear anymore ( like the one you got from your aunt for x-mas)
2. Paper for pattern (I used regular printer/copy paper)
4. Thread ( dental floss will work if you don't have any thread)
5. Needle (for sewing).
That's really all you need for these mittens, but you can also add whatever else you feel necessary. I used some other old sweaters and fabric I had around the house for the lettering.