Step 1: Materials
1 piece of cotton or muslin (loose weave) 4'' x 3'', larger if desired.
12'' of cotton string
2 charms, buttons, or beads (to act as counter weights to the teabag)
2 pieces of 8'' x 6'' loose weave cotton or muslin
And of course needle, thread, and/or sewing machine. Whichever you prefer.
Step 2: Tea Bag, Assemble!
2. Fold top of the cotton (4'' side) over the string. Sew down, being careful not to sew the string.
3. Fold the cotton in half with the string on the outside of the fold. Sew the bottom and outside edge stopping just short of the strings.
4. Turn the bag inside out and VOILA! You are done.
5. Fill with your favorite tea then steep.
For cleaning just rinse out the bag and let dry inside out on a dish rack or hanging from a hook. If it ever gets grungy I throw mine in the top rack of my dishwasher and in comes out fine.
Step 3: Coffee Filter
2. Sew your the pieces together. Make sure to do a nice tight stitch, you don't want to find a whole bunch of grounds in your coffee. No one likes a cup of coffee that they have to chew.
3. Turn inside out and you are done. Slap it into you maker, fill it with your favorite blend and enjoy.
As for washing I always rinse out the grounds and let it air dry on my dish rack. Every once in a while I will wash it in the top rack of the dishwasher.