Seek no more! For with a website, a free audio editing program, and a few simple steps you'll have your robot underlings talking to you in no time. You can modify the settings to get your own effects. The instructable shows you how to make on that sounds similar to "Otto" (auto) in Wall-E, but that is purely coincidental.
Step 1: Start With a Text to Speech Program
Now type in the words you want your robot to say. For my first one typed "Hello Master Ryan. How may I assist you."
Now click on "SPEAK". If you like the results, click "Back" in your browser, and then select "DOWNLOAD" instead. Save the file with a unique name. I used "hellomasterryan.wav".
Note: You might have to tweak it to get it to sound the way you want. For example, I spelled my name as "rie an" to get it to sound the way I wanted.
Step 2: Get Audacity, a Free Audio Editing Program
Step 3: Use Audacity to Create Your Robot Voice!
Here's where the real action is! Throughout the following steps you'll need to make sure that the whole audio file is selected by pressing CTRL+A. Here we go!
1) Select the whole audio file. Use CTRL+A (hold down control and press the "A" key)
2) Click on "Effect" in the menu bar, and select "Change Pitch..."
3) Change the pitch -14%, and click OK.
4) In the Effect menu, choose "Echo"
5) Change "Delay time" to .015 and "Decay Factor" to .65. Click OK.
6) Again in the Effect menu, choose "Change Tempo..."
7) Decrease the tempo by 10% (-10.000) and click OK
8) Repeat steps 4 and 5
Now play your robot voice with the green "Play" button toward the top. Isn't it amazing?
Last but not least, click on "File" and then "Export as WAV..." and save it wherever you like.
Step 4: Make Voices for Your Whole Robot Army!
- Change your friend/coworker/mate/buddy's computer startup to say something like "This computer will self destruct in 10 seconds"
- Making a real robot? Use these files to make it "talk" to you.
- Have imaginary conversations with your new robot friends
- Use a "record your own" style greeting card and use your robot underlings to record the message. Your geek friends will love it!
- Leave mysterious voice mails in robot voices.
Really the uses are endless. Enjoy!