Present your loved one with this anatomically-correct heart, a card ("You have my heart!"), and a ring hidden in the heart! When the heart is cut open, blood gushes out and the blood-soaked ring can be pulled out. Love all around! What sweetheart could resist such a display?
Step 1: What you need
- One heart-shaped mold (either an anatomically-correct one, or a valentine-heart shaped cake pan)
- 1 large package of Strawberry flavor gelatin (6oz or 170g)
- 1/2 can evaporated skim milk
- Food coloring (the pastes are preferable to the liquids)
- Clean paintbrush to apply the colorings
- Clean produce bag for the blood (produce bags are light and thin)
- Corn syrup and Grenadine for the blood
- Non-stick cooking spray for the mold
I purchased my anatomically-correct mold from The Anatomical Chart Company at www.anatomical.com a number of years ago. You should be able to find one either there, or at science/education/medical specialty places.
Update February 2011: Alternate sources for a mold include http://www.egeneralmedical.com/heargelmol.html and http://www.thefind.com/kitchen/info-heart-gelatin-mold (Thanks mookiemueller !)