Low quality 3d printing nozzles are often the ones that prevents your model from being printed as perfectly as they should. In this video I am gonna show you how to machine your own hot-end nozzle on a budged.
Step 1: Designing a Nozzle (3d Software)
- let start this project by drawing it in a solidworks. This is just a quick preview of how the model was made, so if you are interested in having a solidworks file, contact me and I will send you a copy of a file.
- I also attached the drawings of that model which are linked below: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzjScN4T6AbAMzdod0ZFZGVIbnM/view
- Here are some renderings of a model and I hope it wont be much different after being machined :)
Step 2: Cutting Down a Piece to Work With
-I chose brass as a material due to its good machining properties and it is commonly available in any local shops as a hexagon rod (2 meters in length) for around 5-10 €.
- Cutting down a 20 mm section will be just right to start machining it on a lathe.
Step 3: Cuthing the Throat and Conus
-Lets narrow down a piece to diameter of 6 mm and make a 15 ° chamfer for easier thread making.
- Turn the piece around and set your lathe to cut at 45 ° angle and mill it down so there will be approximately 1 mm space around the 0.3 mm hole.
Step 4: Drilling the Holes and Cutting M6 Thread
- Now comes the hard part. Drilling with a 0.3 mm bits is very precise job so take your time and do it slowly and accurately.
- continue on the other side with 2mm bit and 1 mm bit for smoother transition.
- Finally, cut the M6 thread and our nozzle is finished. I cut the thread with so called 'die holder' inspired by Clickspring.
Step 5: Finished Nozzle
-It really wasn't so hard to machine the nozzle as I taught it would be and I definitely recommend doing it to anyone who wants to improve their 3d printing quality as well as a machining skills.
Testing the nozzle will be up soon so stay tuned and don’t forget to check out the youtube video of making the nozzle.
PDF drawings: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzjScN4T6AbAMzdod...
Music by: - Waysons - Eternal Minds [NCS Release]
- Syn Cole - Feel Good [NCS Release]
►Please Like, Share and Comment.
Contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you want to help me upgrade my tools and buy new stuff you can help me with this patreon site. http://www.patreon.com/jakesworkshop Thanks for support