Introduction: Make a Necklace Using Electrical Fuse
Do you know that the earliest finding of jewelry was dated around 25,000 years ago. This simple necklace made of fish bones was found in a cave in Monaco. Of course, the jewelry they wore in the old days was not made like we make it today. The ancient people wore jewelry made of feathers, bones, shells, and colored pebbles.
My point is you can make jewelry out of anything, so long as you can make it look good and wearable. I am not a very professional (not even close) jewelry maker which is kind of good because this way I am able to see everyday things as jewelry material, for example cardboard, buttons, paracord and electrical fuse. How beautiful these tiny vessels are.
Fascinated by these fuses I came up with the idea of making a necklace out of it. Yeah...yeah... I know that most of my ideas sounds crazy in the beginning :D but you see, that is where the fun begins.
So let me show you how to make a necklace using electrical fuse and a very modern looking, stylish indeed .
The keyword is super easy and fun. :)
Step 1: Material Required
Now I don't expect you to have a lot of blown electrical fuses at home, so you have to buy those (and if you have so many blown fuses indeed, my friend you got to have your electrical lines inspected...LOL)
So to make a necklace using electrical fuse, you would need some simple stuff:
- Around 7 electrical fuse, the small ones of about 1.5 inch size (you see I don't know electricity related stuff :D)
- 8 Glass beads of size 8mm (get creative, use your imagination here).
- Lots of glass seed beads of color of your choice (red looks amazing though)
- Some really thin jewelry wire. I used enameled copper wire because it is not visible among red seed beads.
- Wire cutter.
- OPTIONAL Round nose plier, you can use a small round object like nail too.
- OPTIONAL super instant glue, in case you want to make things super permanent.
- Cigarette lighter.
- Some pointed object.
- Some cotton string or thin jewelry chain to make the necklace wearable. I did not go much creative here, you can use your imagination. A simple cotton string did the job for me .
- A piece of old cloth.
- RECOMMENDED Safety Goggles
You can get fuses at any local electrical store.
Lets begin make of necklace.
Step 2: Preparing the Fuses
WARNING: Wear safety goggles for this step, it is extremely important. You don't want glass pieces to get inside your eyes.
In order to make necklace using electric fuse, we need to carefully remove the end caps of the fuse without hurting ourselves and the fuse structure. I did not know this but thankfully I got my answer on instructables here.
This is how you will remove end-cap from the electric fuse body:
Wear your safety goggles. See images above and follow:
- Hold fuse from one end.
- Heat the other end-cap for 10-15 secs using lighter evenly by rotating the fuse. This will melt the glue inside.
- Carefully hold the heated end using flat nose plier (you can also use a thick cloth).
- Keep your grip tight on the other end and try to gently move the heated end-cap using the plier. NOTE: if the metal is heated properly, the end-cap will be separated easily, but in case it does not, do not force or put pressure on end-cap, the glass might break and the end cap will be scratched. Instead reheat for few more seconds.
- If the cap moves, pull the cap out.
- Do the same for the other cap
- Remove the fuse wire by pulling it.
- Repeat #2- #7 for remaining fuses.
Once the caps are removed, it is time to make tiny holes on both the caps of the fuse. This is how you do it.
- Place the cap on some semi hard surface like a notebook or cloth. See image above.
- Put the pointed object on top of the cap and hammer it with a slight jerk so that you can pierce just a tiny hole in it.
- Do this for all the caps.
This is the only time consuming and tricky part of the entire necklace making. Lets begin to make the necklace in next step.
Step 3: Beading the Fuse
See images above and follow:
We will start by taking around 12 inch of wire.
- On one end of the wire make a loop using the round nose plier or any hard round object. Since the wire is thin, you can easily wrap it using your fingers.
- Insert the red 8mm bead.
- Insert the cap and vessel such that the other end of the vessel is open.
- Now put seed beads inside the vessel, gently shake the vessel while putting beads so that it can fill maximum space inside.
- Once the vessel is full with beads, insert the end cap though wire.
- Repeat #2 - #5 for remaining fuses.
- Make loop at the end to secure the fuses, try to keep the loop close to the last bead to avoid any gaps.
I love that smile of achievement on you face because I exactly felt like that while making this.:D
Necklace if almost done, we just have to make it wearable. Lets do that in next step.
Step 4: Making the Necklace Wearable
See images above and follow:
In the last step, we made wire loops at both the ends. Therefore it becomes very easy to attach a string or chain to the necklace.
I had some cotton string that I attached to the loops and made it adjustable by adding a bead at the end of string.
And your necklace using the electrical fuse is ready.
Isn't it looking awesome :).
How about some matching earrings now to complete a necklace set, lets check it out in next step.
Step 5: Pairing With Some Cool Earrings
Almost two years back I made these earrings using blown electrical fuse, which I think would pair nice with this necklace. Check out full instuctable here.
I always say, this type of idea opens possibilities of many amazing designs, you just have to try experimenting it.
Thank you so much for taking time to read my ible. I hope you have enjoyed reading it. Should you have questions and feedback, please share in the comments below. Also please share using 'I made it' button in case you to give it a try.
If you like it please share and vote for it :)
You are awesome :)
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.